As the city’s mayor’s office announced Wednesday that the latest outbreak of measles has reached 50 people, the city has also declared a public health emergency in Boston.
Boston is the latest in a string of recent outbreaks in the city that have spread through the country, and has also led to a lockdown in parts of Massachusetts and a lockdown at JFK International Airport.
The Boston Globe reports that the first confirmed case of measles was reported in February and the second case was reported this week.
The mayor’s press secretary, Eric Adams, said that “this case is unique in that it is so highly contagious, it has infected hundreds of people and the city of Boston is prepared to fight the disease and to provide for the health of all of its residents.”
Adams said that the Boston City Council will meet Thursday afternoon to consider a declaration of a public emergency, and that the city will also ask for an additional $2 million in federal funds.
Authorities in Massachusetts said Wednesday that more than 200 cases have been confirmed so far this year.
They say the total number of people infected with measles in Massachusetts is about 1,400.
It is unclear whether the outbreak is related to the new coronavirus.
A spokeswoman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday in a statement that the virus is spreading rapidly and is “already impacting the public health system.”
The spokesman also said that CDC workers in the U.S. have been affected by the virus, and there is a strong correlation between the virus and increased cases of fevers, cough and fever.
The CDC said on Wednesday that it will increase its outreach to help those affected by outbreaks and help people in need of help.
In New York, Gov.
Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday he was postponing a planned state visit to the United Kingdom until at least December.
Cuomo has already called for a halt to all flights out of the United States to the country.
President Donald Trump has not visited the United Nations or the World Health Organization, where he has made many health-related appearances.
He is expected to visit the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia next week, but the White House said Wednesday the president has “absolutely” decided not to travel.
Earlier in the week, Trump was criticized for his decision to attend a rally in Phoenix with conservative Republican Rep. Steve King.
The rally was billed as a “Stand With the American People” event.
While the Trump administration has been making clear it will work to reduce the number of cases, it is unclear how many of those cases have originated from outside of the country and how many were spread by the new virus.
Trump’s remarks during the rally, in which he compared his time in office to his father, President Ronald Reagan, drew swift criticism from Democrats and some health experts who said the comments were inappropriate.
“This was just an example of the administration ignoring the fact that they can’t be trusted,” said Democratic Rep. Dan Kildee of Michigan, who was the only Democrat to endorse Trump in November’s election.
“They’re afraid to say anything because they don’t want to hurt the president.”